The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Ensuring that people with cancer and cancer survivors have access to care, resources and tools that address their unique needs and support healthy lifestyles that can improve their quality of life. This page includes resources for people with cancer, as well as for cancer survivors, caregivers, and providers.
Cancer Survivor and Thriver Needs
Many people with cancer are living longer. Even after treatment ends, they may experience ongoing symptoms from their cancer and its treatment. This can include physical, emotional, spiritual, career, and financial challenges. MDHHS has developed a couple of reports providing data about people who have received a cancer diagnosis.
Resources for Cancer Survivors and Thrivers
- Cancer Pain - Managing Pain After a Cancer Diagnosis
- Clinical Trials - What You Need to Know about Clinical Trials
- Emotional Health & Support - Cancer Support community
- Financial Support - American Cancer Society - Understanding Health Insurance
- Financial Support - 2021 Patient Guide to Cancer Support Services
- Healthy Lifestyles - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - Talk to Someone
- Healthy Lifestyles - Cancer PATH: Thriving & Surviving upcoming workshops
- Survivorship Resources - Cancer.net
Resources for Caregivers
- Caregiver Guide - American Cancer Society
- Caregiver Resources - Program for Breast Cancer in Young Women
- 10 Tips for Caregivers - Cancer Support Community
- Peer Support- Imerman Angels
Resources for Providers
- Survivor Resources - State and National Resources for Cancer Survivors
- Palliative Care - Palliative Care for Adults Living with Cancer
- Clinical Trials - The Role of Primary Care Providers
- Financial Support - Financial Navigation Report
- Healthy Lifestyles - Wellness Interventions for Cancer Survivors
- Rehabilitation and Pain Management
- Survivorship Education - George Washington Cancer Survivorship E- Learning Series For PCPs
Who is a Cancer Survivor? Who is a Cancer Thriver?A cancer survivor is traditionally defined as a person diagnosed with cancer, from the time of diagnosis throughout the remainder of their life. Some individuals diagnosed with cancer will lose their life to cancer, some will live with cancer as a chronic disease, while others will live cancer free for the remainder of their life. Some people living with cancer aren’t comfortable with the term survivor. Instead they often use the term thriver.