The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Michigan Harm Reduction Summit
2022 Virtual Michigan Harm Reduction Summit
The 2022 Virtual Michigan Harm Reduction Summit was held from May 17 - May 19, 2022.
Continuing Education and Post-Event Evaluation:
Continuing education is available for the following disciplines: Nursing (CNE), Social Work (MiSW), Addiction Professionals (MCBAP), Health Educators (CHES), Physician Category I (CME I), and Community Health Workers (CHW). Attendees may also request a Certificate of Attendance (COA). The maximum available educational hours offered for each discipline can be found at the following Purpose, Objectives, and Disclosures (POD) Document.
IMPORTANT: To obtain continuing education credits or a certificate of attendance, participants must (1) be registered for the event, (2) attend the conference live, and (3) complete the post-event evaluation. Post-event evaluations must be completed by Friday, June 10, 2022. Late or incomplete evaluation responses will not be accepted. Attendees will receive their certificates by e-mail within 30-45 days after the close of the evaluation. For questions related to receipt of certificate, please contact CEinfo@mphi.org and reference the 2022 Michigan Harm Reduction Summit.
- Drug Analysis Session - Mary Figgat, MPH
- Drug Analysis Session - Elaine Dougherty
- MDHHS Updates: We Treat Hep C Initiative - Teresa Juridico, MPH
- Media For Change - Gloria Malone
- MDHHS Updates: Policy/Viral Hepatitis - Mary Miller, MSN, RN
2021 Virtual Michigan Harm Reduction Summit
- 2021 Summit Agenda
- 2021 Harm Reduction Summit Compiled Chat Resources
- 2021 Harm Reduction Summit Recordings
- 2021 Harm Reduction My Story Video Series: Part 1, Part 2
2020 Virtual Michigan Harm Reduction Summit
PowerPoint Slides and Supplemental Materials:
- PowerPoint slides, supplemental materials (fact sheets), and speaker contact information are available for download in the 2020 Virtual Michigan Harm Reduction Summit DropBox.
2019 Michigan Harm Reduction Summit
The MDHHS Viral Hepatitis Unit hosted its first-ever 2019 Michigan Harm Reduction Summit at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Lansing on April 2, 2019. Approximately 300 professionals from across Michigan gathered to learn strategies for curbing the opioid epidemic. There was a diverse representation of summit attendees, including state and local health departments, public safety, health centers and medical professionals, universities, community-based organizations, community mental health, and more.
Topics included syringe access 101, best practices for syringe services program implementation, harm reduction strategies for reducing the transmission of infectious diseases related to injection drug use, overdose prevention, naloxone distribution, and stigma and cultural competency.
Attendees had the opportunity to network and tour two syringe service program mobile units from the Grand Rapids Red Project and Chippewa County Health Department's Safe X-Change Program.
- 2019 Michigan Harm Reduction Summit Agenda
- 2019 Regional Harm Reduction Meetings Save the Date Flyer
- Syringe Service Program Flyer
- Press Release: MDHHS informing health professionals about harm reduction April 2
- Opening Remarks - Joe Coyle, MPH, MDHHS Communicable Disease Division
- Keynote: Scott County Outbreak - Pam Pontones, MA, Indiana State Department of Health
- Stigma and Cultural Competency - Laura Pegram, MSW, MPH, NASTAD
- IDU for Non-IDU - Pam Lynch, LMSW, CAADC, Harm Reduction Michigan
- Closing Remarks - Brandon Hool, BS, MDHHS Viral Hepatitis Unit