The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program (including CAREWare)
The Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program provides a comprehensive system of care that includes medical care and support services for people with HIV who are uninsured or underinsured. The program works with cities, states, and local community-based organizations to provide HIV care and treatment services to more than half a million people each year. It is administered by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration, HIV/AIDS Bureau.
- MDHHS Ryan White Program Guidance #14-01: Eligibility and Recertification (rev. February 2023)
- MDHHS Ryan White Program Guidance #20-03: Incentives (rev. November 2020)
- MDHHS Division of HIV and STI Programs (DHSP) Incentives Toolkit Presentation (rev. November 2020)
- Health Resources and Services Administration, HIV/AIDS Bureau home page
- Ryan White Policy Notices and Program Letters
- MDHHS Ryan White Program Service Standards (rev. March 2023)
- Appendix A (rev. August 2020)
- Appendix B (rev. May 2022)
- MDHHS Guidelines for Testing and Reporting: Perinatal Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, and Syphilis (rev. September 2021)
- MDHHS Michigan HIV Case Management Standardized Tools
- Biopsychosocial Assessment Tool
- Acuity Scale Tool
- Care/Service Plan Tool
- MDHHS Health Insurance Premium Cost Sharing Assistance (HIPCA) Policies and Procedures (rev. 2021)
- MDHHS HIPCA, DMR, MIDAP, PA, Medicaid, Gap Insurance Education Training -This recording includes updates from the Continuum of Care Unit (CoC), Michigan Drug Assistance Program (MIDAP), Insurance Assistance Program (IAP) and Script Guide Rx. We take a deeper dive into the policy and procedures for HIPCA and MIDAP along with updates to the Direct Member Reimbursement Process.
- Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program (RWHAP) National Monitoring Standards for RWHAP Part B Recipients (rev. June 2022)
- MDHHS Health Insurance Premium Cost Sharing Assistance (HIPCA) Needs Requests Form (rev. September 2021)
- DHS-424: Client Benefits Evaluation Form (rev. February 2016)
Case managers can use this form to gather information that will help determine a client's possible eligibility for welfare entitlement benefits (e.g., Social Security Disability Insurance, Medicaid, Food Assistance Program), other government benefits (e.g., Michigan Drug Assistance Program, Insurance Assistance Program), and other community resources and/or benefits.
- Early Intervention Services On-Demand Training (rev. September 2022)
- Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program Brochure for Providers (rev. January 2023)
- Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program Brochure for Providers - Spanish (rev. January 2023)
- Annual Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program Services Report (RSR)
- Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program Part B Manual (rev. April 2022)
- TARGETHIV (Technical Assistance Resources, Guidance, Education & Training for the Ryan White community)
- MDHHS Integrated Ryan White Parts B and D Quality Management Plan (2022-2023)
- MDHHS Summary of Performance Measures
- HRSA HAB Performance Measures
- HRSA Policy Clarification Notice (PCN) #15-02: Clinical Quality Management
- HRSA Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program Center for Quality Improvement and Innovation (CQII)
Consumer Quality Management Training
The Consumer Quality Management Training is for any interested person who wants to learn basic, fundamental quality management information. The information in the training will help the participant feel more knowledgeable and equipped for quality management activities and meetings at their agency, community, or state level.
Case Conference Training
The Case Conference Training is for health care and public health staff who want to begin or standardize their case conference practices. The information in the training will help participants apply structure and cohesiveness to their case conferences as well as measure the effectiveness of these practices at their agency.
- Identify the structure and benefits of case conferences.
- Describe the purpose and utilization of case conferences.
- Explore outreach techniques to connect with challenging clients.
- Identify the purpose to conduct case conferences with the goal to improve health outcomes.
Learning Outcome: At the completion of this self-pace training, the learner will be able to provide a holistic, consistent, and client-centered approach while providing a case conference, know who are the appropriate disciplinaries to invite and involve in the consumer's care planning, and explain how case conference planning and consistent facilitation will improve a consumer's overall health care.
Recording for education purposes only. No Continuing Education award available.
- Case Conference Training (2022)
Viral Load Suppression Disparity Walkthrough Training
This training demonstrates how to pull, analyze, and display viral load disparity data utilizing CAREWare and the NQC Disparity Calculator.
Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program CAREWare
CAREWare is a free, electronic health and social support services information system for Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program grant recipients and their providers. It was developed by HRSA's HIV/AIDS Bureau and first released in 2000, and it is used to report year-end, Ryan White HIV/AIDS Services Report (RSR) client-level data and to monitor quality of care on a regular basis. CAREWare contains customizable modules for tracking demographics, services, medications, laboratory test results, immunization history, diagnoses (updated with ICD-10 codes), and referrals to outside agencies.
Requests to Add a New User
CAREWare requires authorization prior to accessing the system. Please first submit an access request through the STI/HIV Operations and Resource System (SHOARS). For information about SHOARS including how to register and submit an access request, please visit Michigan.gov/SHOARS. If there are any questions or concerns regarding this process, reach out to MDHHS-SHOARS-SUPPORT@michigan.gov.
If you have staff members that are leaving your team, please contact MDHHS-SHOARS-SUPPORT@michigan.gov so Bureau of HIV and STI Programs (BHSP) staff can help remove records for previous employees.
Getting Started with CAREWare
Introducing CAREWare Version 6
CAREWare has been updated and has a new user interface that runs in any internet browser except for Internet Explorer. Version 6 includes the same functionality as Version 5 with some additional features.
- Downloading and Installing CAREWare
- Logging in for the first time:
- Go to "My Settings."
- Change your password to something you will remember.
- Update your contact information with your current phone number and email address.
- Update your security questions.
- CAREWare 6 User Guide
- CAREWare 6 Data to Care Quick Guide
- HRSA HAB CAREWare Home Page
- MDHHS Ryan White Parts B and D CAREWare Service Categories and Sub-Services (Appendix A of MDHHS Ryan White Program Standards of Care)
Requests to Reset a Password
- Any password resets or MILogin related issues will have to contact the State of Michigan's DTMB MILogin Team at 517-241-7681 or 877-932-6424.
The Bureau of HIV and STI Programs (BHSP) will provide technical assistance (TA), as requested, on the implementation of the Ryan White program. This may include issues related to: CAREWare, Quality Management, Ryan White B services, Budget/Fiscal, Grants and Contracts, ADAP, or other activities related to carrying out Ryan White activities. TA requests must be submitted through the STI/HIV Operations and Resource System (SHOARS). In addition, if your contract is to be amended, the request will have to be logged into SHOARS. Registration instructions and further information can be found at Michigan.gov/SHOARS. If there are any questions or concerns regarding this process, please reach out to MDHHS-SHOARS-SUPPORT@michigan.gov.