The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Oral Health Epidemiology
Roles and Responsibilities of the Oral Health Epidemiologist
The MDHHS Oral Health Epidemiologist provides support to the MDHHS Bureau of Epidemiology and Population Health and the MDHHS Division of Chronic Disease and Injury Control on all epidemiologic matters concerning oral health. This includes data management, surveillance, epidemiologic study design and planning, statistical analysis, policy and program development, program evaluation, technical expertise, and training.
The epidemiologist plays a key role in developing, coordinating and maintaining the Michigan oral health surveillance system by monitoring oral disease, access to oral health care, special populations that experience higher rates of oral disease, and the capacity of the oral health workforce to provide care to both special populations and the general population.
Fact Sheets and Surveillance Briefs
- Oral Cancer Burden and Prevention in Michigan - 2022 Surveillance Brief
- Age 1 Dental Visits
- Maternal Intentions for Infant Dental Visits
- 2018 Fluoridation Rates by County
- Michigan Head Start Smiles Data Brief, 2017-2018
- Oral Cancer in Michigan - 2018 Surveillance Brief
- Oral Cancer in Michigan - 2015 Surveillance Brief
- Dental Insurance Among Michigan Adults
- Oral Health and Cardiovascular Disease - 2015 Fact Sheet
- Oral Health of Michigan Seniors
- Oral Cancer Fact Sheet - 2019
- Oral Health During Pregnancy, PRAMS 2004-2008
- Utilization of Oral Health Services Among Michigan Adults, BRFS 2012
- Oral Health & Diabetes Fact Sheet
Dashboard: Michigan Medicaid Oral Health Care Rates by County, 2016-2020
This dashboard shows geographically where the burden of oral health care use is among Medicaid enrollees in Michigan. It displays maps (2016-2020) of each oral health indicator MDHHS monitors.
Dashboard: MI Mom's Mouth - Michigan's Perinatal Oral Health Medicaid Utilization, 2018-2021
This dashboard shows the trends in dental utilization during pregnancy for Medicaid enrollees in the state of Michigan. Data are presented by geographic region and race, and include utilization rates from 2018 through 2021.
Dashboard: Community Water Fluoridation in Michigan by County, 2017-2020
The purpose of this dashboard is to highlight trends in the proportion of people served by community water systems with optimally fluoridated water in Michigan by county from 2017-2020.
- Michigan Oral Health Surveillance Plan: 2019-2023
- 2019 Oral Health Medicaid Rates by County
- 2018 Oral Health Medicaid Rates by County
- Oral Cancer Summary Report
- 2017 Oral Health Medicaid Rates by County
- Michigan Head Start Smiles Report, 2017-2018
- 2016-2017 SEAL! Michigan Report
- Michigan Senior Smiles Report: 2016-2017
- Count Your Smiles Report: 2015-2016
- Michigan Oral Health Project for the Aging
- Michigan Oral Health Surveillance Plan: 2013-2018
- Count Your Smiles Report: 2011-2012
- Burden of Oral Health Report: 2013
Jackson County Senior Smiles Survey: Michigan Oral Health Pilot Project Focused on the Aging. Anderson B, Moore J, Farrell C, Nickles A.
Characteristics of Dental-Related Hospital Admissions in Michigan, 2009-2010. Nickles A, Reeves MJ, Lyon-Callo S, Farrell C.
Assessment of the Prevalence and Predictors of Dental Caries and Loss to Follow-Up: Michigan Department of Community Health Fluoride Varnish Application Program. Akarte N, Korzeniewski S, Vandenbush S, Grigorescu V, Deming S, Joseph LM.
For more information, or to get accessibility assistance reading any of the documents on this page, please contact:
Alaina White, MPH, Oral Health Epidemiologist
Chronic Disease Epidemiology Section
Lifecourse Epidemiology and Genomics Division
MDHHS Bureau of Epidemiology and Population Health
Go to the MDHHS Oral Health Program home page
Go to the Chronic Disease Epidemiology Section home page
Go to the Lifecourse Epidemiology & Genomics Division home page