General Mitigation Measures for Athletics:
- Beginning April 2, all sports practices and competitions involving 13- to 19-year-olds are prohibited unless the participants take part in a testing program as specified in the MDHHS Interim Guidance for Athletics issued March 20, 2021.
- When a mask can be safely worn, participants in contact sports must wear a mask during practice and competition.
- Non-contact sports where distancing can be maintained and a mask is not possible can continue.
- Wash hands frequently and cover coughs and sneezes.
- Use separate equipment as much as possible. Frequently clean and disinfect any shared equipment and surfaces.
- See the MDHHS Guidance for Athletics for more recommendations to mitigate risk and prevent the spread of COVID-19 in sports.
*Exceptions are for athletes in contact sports where face masks pose a safety hazard. In these situations, additional mitigation measures, including testing before unmasked play, are required. Please see the MDHHS Guidance for Athletics for more information
Guidance for Athletics
MDHHS Guidance for Athletics
American Academy of Pediatrics COVID-19 Interim Guidance: Return to Sports
CDC Considerations for Youth Sports Administrators
FAQs for the February 4th Gatherings and Face Mask Order
MDHHS Testing Resources for Athletics
MI Safer Sports Testing Program
MHSAA Fall 2020 Championship Pilot Program