Skip to main content

Health Care Coverage for People Impacted by Flint Water

You and/or your child may be eligible for health care coverage through the State of Michigan if you:

Consumed water from the Flint water system and lived, worked, or received childcare or education at an address that was served by the Flint water system at any time from April 2014 and a date to be determined in the future, and you and/or your child are:

  • A pregnant woman, or
  • Under age 21, or
  • A child born to a woman who was served by the Flint water system during the specified time period


If you DO NOT have Medicaid, Healthy Michigan Plan or MIChild…

If you DO have Medicaid, Healthy Michigan Plan or MIChild...

And your income is 400% or less of the federal poverty level*
($47,520 for one person or $97,200 for a family of four)

You can apply for coverage now

  • The fastest way to apply is online at
  • You can also apply by calling the Michigan Health Care Helpline at 1-855-789-5610
    (TTY 1-866-501-5656 for persons with hearing and speech disabilities). 

The office hours are Monday through Friday 8 AM to 7 PM.

If you need help applying for coverage, you can visit an area navigator site for assistance. 

*determined through the Modified Adjusted Gross Income methodology.

A letter may be sent to you about the additional services you can get.

If you do not get a letter from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) and think you should have, call the Beneficiary Help Line at 1-800-642-3195 
(TTY 1-866-501-5656 for persons with hearing and speech disabilities).  

The office hours are Monday through Friday 8 AM to 7 PM.




Questions and Answers about the Flint Waiver

Question: What type of health care coverage is provided?

Answer:  If you or your children are eligible, this coverage includes:

  • Doctor visits for things like check-ups, back to school physicals and shots
  • Dental visits
  • Vision care
  • Nutrition counseling
  • Behavioral health services
  • Many other health care services



Question:  What other services can I get?

Answer:  You can also get Family Supports Coordination services. Family Supports Coordination can connect you with medical, educational, social and/or other services you may need.  A supports coordinator will help you make a plan for your family’s needs, including help with:

  • Scheduling appointments
  • Securing transportation assistance
  • Getting lead screening
  • Improving emotional well-being
  • Linking your family to:
    • Educational resources (Head Start, Early On, Great Start Readiness Program, etc.);
    • Nutrition supports (WIC, Food Assistance, Mobile Food Pantries, etc.); and
    • Other social services that will help your children to thrive.

Question: Do I have to pay for these additional services?

Answer: No. 

Question: Do I have to pay for my State of Michigan health care coverage?

Answer: No. If you qualify for this additional service you will not have to pay premiums, contributions, or co-pays for your State of Michigan health care coverage.


Question: If I am approved for coverage can I still keep my doctor?

Answer: Many health care providers participate with the Medicaid program.  Before you apply, you can ask your doctor if they participate with Medicaid and any Medicaid health plans.  If your doctor does not participate, they can enroll with Medicaid.  They can also enroll with any of the Medicaid Health Plans to become part of their networks.


Question: Can I apply if I already have other insurance?

Answer: Yes, but if you have other insurance that insurance must be used first.  Health care coverage through the State of Michigan may cover things your other insurance may not, like Family Supports Coordination services.


Question: Where can I get more information about help with other water related issues?

Answer:  The State of Michigan has a website with resources to assist with water related issues.  Visit for more information.