Skip to main content

If I am an Indian person, can I go to college for free?

The State of Michigan established a tuition waiver program for eligible American Indian/Alaska Native (AI/AN) students seeking a college degree at a public institution. All costs associated with attending a college/university are not covered by this program (room & board, books, transportation, food, etc…); however the tuition costs are calculated for credit bearing courses and are waived for eligible Native American students. Therefore, while the cost of college/university is not entirely free for an AI/AN student, the costs are considerably reduced for a student to seek an Associate, Bachelors, Masters, Ph.D., or Juris Doctor degree.

Students should begin planning and preparing for their college career by contacting their Tribal Education Department, completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), working with their Financial Aid Officers and applying for the Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver Program.

The Michigan Department of Civil Rights (MDCR) administers this program ( Program eligibility is subject to change, however, the criteria currently requires that the student is certified by his/her tribe as ¼ Native American blood quantum, an enrolled member of a federally recognized tribe, attending a public institution in Michigan and has been a resident of Michigan for at least 12 consecutive months.