This webpage contains only approved final documents.
Last updated July 1, 2020.
Policies and Technical Advisories issued under the name Bureau of Substance Abuse and Addiction Services (BSAAS) or Office of Drug Control Policy (ODCP) are still active, they are now administered by the Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities Administration (BHDDA).
Substance Use Disorder Administrative Rules
Guidelines and Requirements for Substance Use Disorder Service Delivery
- Documents in alphabetical order -
Substance Use Disorder Services Policies:
- Acupuncture rev 11/01/12, technical revisions completed 7/1/20 #P-T-02: Establishes standards for the use of acupuncture as adjunct therapy in substance abuse treatment.
- Adolescent Substance Use Treatment Services Policy rev 06/01/18 #14
- Communicable Disease Online Training: Level 1 Communicable Disease
Attachment A only: Communicable Disease Provider Information Plan/Report
rev. eff. 01/01/12, technical revisions completed 7/1/20 #P-P-02: Establishes requirements with regard to addressing communicable disease.
- Criteria for Using Methadone for Medication-Assisted Treatment and Recovery rev eff 10/01/12 Consent for an Adolescent to Participate in Opioid Pharmacotherapy Treatment form, technical revisions completed 7/1/20 #P-T-05: Clarifies the process for the use of methadone in medication-assisted treatment and recovery for opioid dependence.
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders new 10/01/09 #P-T-11: Establishes the process and expectations for the screening and referral of children for FASD and the inclusion of FASD prevention in treatment programs that serve women.
- Individualized Treatment and Recovery Planning eff 04/02/12 #P-T-06: Establishes requirements for individualized treatment and recovery planning.
- Off-Site Dosing Requirements for Medication Assisted Treatment , technical revisions completed 7/1/20 rev 12/01/06 #P-T-04: Clarifies the rules and procedures pertaining to off-site dosing of opioid treatment medication by clients in an opioid treatment program.
- Outpatient Treatment Continuum of Services - Establishes requirements for outpatient services to use ASAM Level of Care criteria and to individualize services to be culturally, age, and gender appropriate. new 03/15/17
- Residential Treatment Continuum of Services - technical revisions completed 7/1/20 - Requirements for residential services based on ASAM LOC criteria, and to support individualized services that maintain cultural, age and gender appropriateness
- Substance Abuse Case Management Program Requirements new 01/01/08 #P-T-08: Specifies requirements with regard to Case Management programs.
- Substance Use Disorder (SUD) Credentialing and Staff Qualifications - Rev 8/15/22
- Synar webpage.Synar & Tobacco Information - technical revisions completed 7/1/20 - Specifies requirements with regard to SAPT Block Grant Synar compliance. -This policy incorporates, by reference, protocols and procedures found on our
- Withdrawal Management Continuum of Services Establishes requirements for withdrawal management services, technical revisions completed 7/1/20
- Women's Treatment Services Establishes the philosophy and requirements for women's treatment services (designated women's programs and gender competent programs). new 10/01/10, technical revisions completed 7/1/20
Substance Use Disorder Services Technical Advisories: