The Home Help program is administered by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) and provides personal care services to individuals who need hands-on assistance with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) and assistance with Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADLs). MDHHS is responsible for approving Home Help providers for participation in the program.
- MILogin Instructions- instructions on how to obtain a user ID and password as well as subscribe to CHAMPS
- Automatic Updates- ListServ Instructions
- Home Help Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Pay Rate by County
- Provider Payment Letter
- Home Help Payment Schedule 2018
Individuals needing Home Help Assistance
Assistance is available for individuals who need help with daily activities and meet eligibility requirements. To receive Home Help services, a person must be eligible for Medicaid and require physical assistance with at least one activity of daily living. This website is designed to assist Home Help providers, if you are a beneficiary and looking to apply for assistance through the Home Help program click here to go to the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services Independent Living Services page for eligibility information.
Home Help Providers interested in providing services for additional clients may call 1-800-979-4662 to be placed on the Provider Registry.
This section will provide information for providers who are enrolled as Individual Home Help providers
- Home Help Individual Provider Checklist – this document will provide a list of the tasks you need to complete as a Home Help provider
Step 1: Register for CHAMPS and Complete Provider Application
- New Individual Provider CHAMPS Registration and Enrollment Instructions
- Quick Reference Guide
- Video Instructions
Step 2: Complete and Submit Monthly Electronic Service Verification (ESV)
*** You are required to submit your service verification using the Electronic Service Verification (ESV) in CHAMPS. ***
Step 3: Update Personal Information and Provider Registry within 10 business days of a change
The visit application for Home Help Individuals can be downloaded in the Apple App Store as well as the Google Play Store for free. The app will allow you to enter and submit your monthly Electronic Service Verifications (ESV). You must also Request Access to myCareVisit through your MILogin Account.
- MSA 18-28 Notice of 2018 Home Help Agency Provider Meetings
- MSA 18-09 Home Help Agency Provider Standards
- MSA 17-39 Home Help Travel Time Payment for Shopping and Laundry Services
- MSA 17-32 Home Help Provider Reimbursement Rates
- MSA 15-13 Changes in Home Help Agency Provider Standards
- MSA 15-06 Changes to Provider Enrollment and Service Verification
- MSA 15-01 Changes to Provider Enrollment and Service Verification
- MSA 14-58 Provider Enrollment and Service Verification
- MSA 14-40 Excludable Convictions for Medicaid Home Help Program Personal Care Service Providers
- MSA 14-31 Personal Care Provider Criminal History Screening
- L 14-58 Criminal History Checks of Michigan Medicaid Home Help Providers
Information on becoming an approved Home Help Agency is listed below.
Agencies seeking to provide services in the Home Help program must be approved by Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) before they are approved for the agency rate. The agency must submit to MDHHS a letter of intent, which needs to include contact information for the Home Help agency owner and administrator, and assures that the agency will provide services in compliance with Home Help policies and procedures. In addition:
- A Medicaid-enrolled home health agency must provide a copy of current Medicare certification.
- All other agencies must provide each of the following:
- A current copy of the Employer’s Quarterly Federal Tax Return (IRS-941) demonstrating that the Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) tax is paid on a quarterly basis; and
- A current copy of the Employer’s Quarterly Tax Report (UIA-1028) demonstrating the agency’s payment of state unemployment insurance.
- An agency that has not provided services at the time of application must provide a letter of intent, Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification (W-9) form, and a copy of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) W-4 form for at least two employees, not including the owner. The agency then must submit the IRS-941 and UIA-1028 within 120 days or its agency approval will be terminated. If the documentation is not provided within the time limit, the agency’s payment authorization will be changed from the agency hourly rate to the individual hourly rate.
Submit documentation by email to MDHHS-MSA-HHProviderReporting@Michigan.gov, by fax to 517-335-7959, or by postal mail to:
MDHHS Long-Term Care Policy
Capital Commons Center, 6th Floor
400 S. Pine St.
Lansing, MI 48913
The agency will be notified in writing of its approval, denial or the need for additional information within 30 days.
Agencies and workers must register in CHAMPS as noted in the Criminal History Screening subsection of MSA 15-13. (instructions below) In order to receive payment for Home Help services, an agency must register with the State of Michigan by submitting a Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification (W-9) to SIGMA Vendor Self Service online at www.Michigan.gov/SIGMAVSS
Visit the SIGMA VSS website, www.Michigan.gov/SIGMAVSS for more information and instructions on how to claim your account or how to register.
Information and resources needed to complete the steps above
- Changes in Home Help Agency Provider Standards - MSA 15-13
- Provider Registration Requirements (Including the Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification (Form W-9) – MSA 10-04
- New Requirements for Home Help Agency Enrollment in the Community Health Automated Medicaid Processing System (CHAMPS), Criminal History Screening and Reporting Services – L 16-34
- Pay Rate by County
- Home Help Agency Provider Reimbursement Rate-MSA 17-32
CHAMPS Enrollment Instructions
- Agency Owner Enrollment Instructions
- Agency Employee Enrollment Instructions
- Instructions for Agency Owners who already have a CHAMPS Provider ID
- Personal Information Change Instructions
For additional assistance contact us at 1-800-979-4662 or email us at ProviderSupport@Michigan.gov