Skip to main content

Help from Other Programs

In addition to the programs offered by DHS, the following programs may help you care for your family until you can get back on your feet.  The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program serves low- and moderate-income pregnant, breastfeeding, and postpartum women, infants, and children up to age 5 who have a nutrition-related health problem.  Women, Infants and Children (WIC):

 A health care program for low-income uninsured children.   MIChild: 

 A comprehensive, statewide strategy focused on unemployed and underemployed residents to help homeowners who are at high risk of default or foreclosure with federal funds secured by the State of Michigan.  Step Forward Michigan: 

 A program that provides certain approved medical service coverage to some children and adults with special health care needs.  Children's Special Health Care Services: 

 Areas of this program will still be available to you, including resume writing, workshops and access to the Michigan Talent Bank with job postings. Michigan Works!

 Childhood vaccines provided by participating doctors and clinics for eligible children.  Vaccines for Children: 

 Offers preventive and primary care to uninsured, underinsured and children receiving Medicaid.  Child & Adolescent Health Center Program: 

 Provides immediate health coverage for pregnant women who many not qualify for Medicaid.  Maternity Outpatient Medical Services (MOMS): 

 Tax benefit for people who work - If you qualify, you will owe less in taxes, and you may get cash back. Even if you do not owe income tax, you can get the credit but you must file a federal tax return. Learn more at Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC): 

 Financial help for higher education. Check out their site for information on all state and federal programs, helpful hints, scholarship searches and tools to help you plan for your future. Go directly to the financial aid programs or browse the site by working through the customer groups. Michigan Student Aid: 

 High school completion program that offers to pay for the first two years of college and beyond for identified students who graduate or complete their GED before age 20. Tuition Incentive Program (TIP): 

 This site provides information for Department of Treasury: 

  • Property Owners - annual tax sale, unclaimed property, tax reversion and property tax credits 
  • Retirees - retirement services and resources to retirement links 
  • Students & Parents - student financial assistance and tuition credit eligibility 
  • Debtors - tax amnesty, and voluntary disclosure 
  • (such as the Home Heating Credit)
    Taxpayers - tax amnesty, assessments, income tax, e-file, and tax credits 
  • Investors - investments, bonds, hospital and higher education authorities 
  • Customer Service - tips and contacts for all of your property owner needs 

  Unemployment insurance benefits for qualified unemployed residents. These benefits provide temporary income while you look for new employment. Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA):

 Oversees the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) to assist low-income families with energy costs. In Michigan, the LIHEAP block grant is used for Home Heating Credit, State Emergency Relief (SER) and Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP).  Department of Energy, Labor & Economic Growth (DELEG):