The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Virtual Visit Information
The State of Michigan verification process provides an objective, external review of institutional capabilities and performance. It is designed to assist hospitals in the evaluation and improvement of trauma care. Virtual visits are conducted by healthcare professionals with expertise in trauma care and trauma program development. The review team assesses commitment, readiness, resources, policies, patient care, performance improvement, and other relevant criteria as outlined by the State of Michigan and American College of Surgeons.
- Hospitals seeking re-verification/designation
- At least 90 days prior to the designation expiration, submit a Request for In-State Verification Site Review.
- Hospitals seeking initial verification/designation
- If not previously completed, submit a Request for In-State Verification Site Review. If a request has already been submitted for your hospital, the State Trauma Designation Coordinator will contact you once it is time to begin scheduling the site visit.
- After a visit is scheduled, request access to the State of Michigan's File Transfer Application.
- Submit the Pre-Review Questionnaire (PRQ), Application for Designation, and completed Chart Review Selection (CRS) Template 45 days prior to the scheduled visit.
- Submit selected medical records and required program documentation 14 days prior to the scheduled visit.
- Prepare for the virtual visit by rehearsing the tour to ensure everything will run smoothly the day of the visit, reviewing chosen medical records to be prepared to answer questions, scheduling appropriate participants for each component of the review day. Refer to the Pre-Review Virtual Checklist below for more details on preparation for a virtual visit.
- The PRQ and selected medical records will serve as a guide for the review. However, reviewers may look beyond the requested documents and medical records if additional validation of compliance is needed. Before the virtual visit is complete, the reviewers will discuss their findings with the facility.
- The site review reports will go to the Designation Subcommittee who will make a recommendation on designation determination to the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.
- The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services makes the final designation determination.
Virtual Visit Resources:
- Pre-Review Virtual Visit Checklist
- File Transfer Application User Manual
- Chart Review Selection (CRS) Template
- Medical Record Review Guidance
- Chart Summary Form
- Virtual Visit Documentation Requirements
- Virtual Visit FAQ
- Tips for a Successful Virtual Visit
- Michigan Criteria
- Regional Work Plans
- Virtual Visit Presentation to Michigan Trauma Coalition Membership
- Virtual Visit and Performance Improvement Office Hours Session November 2022
- Request for Verification In-State- Level III
- Criteria Quick Reference Guide - Level III
- Pre-Review Questionnaire (PRQ) for Michigan Level III Trauma Facility
- Application for Designation, In-State Verified Level III Trauma Facility
- Virtual Visit Facility Guidelines - Level III
- Virtual Visit Agenda - Level III
- Request for Verification In-State Level IV
- Criteria Quick Reference Guide - Level IV
- Pre-Review Questionnaire (PRQ) for Michigan Level IV Trauma Facility
- Application for Designation, In-State Verified Level IV Trauma Facility
- Virtual Visit Facility Guidelines - Level IV
- Virtual Visit Agenda - Level IV
Virtual Focused Review: