Skip to main content

City/Community Residential Water

Illustration of a Type 1 community public water supply. Shows two apartment/commercial buildings and a single family home connected to an underground water supply line.

City/Community Residential Water

Do you have city/community residential water?

  • If you live within a city, village, apartment complex, nursing home, manufactured housing community, or something similar, you may be on city/community residential water which is provided by a type 1 community public water supply.
  • A type 1 community public water supply is a system that distributes drinking water to at least 25 residents or 15 living units year-round.
  • The water provided typically comes from either surface water (lakes or rivers) or groundwater (through wells).

The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) regulate the quality of water from Michigan type 1 community public water supplies through the development and enforcement of rules and through monitoring efforts.

  • The US EPA sets minimum standards for drinking water quality.
  • Michigan's Safe Drinking Water Act includes additional requirements for drinking water quality.

Regular maintenance is required to operate and comply with these rules and regulations. To cover the cost to do this work, customers pay for water. This could be through a water bill, rent, or other payment options.

How does the water get from a type 1 community public water supply to your home? Video

How does the water get from a type 1 community public water supply to your home?

Learn more in this MiEnviroMinute video.

Consumer Confidence Report (CCR)

To help keep people informed of the quality of their drinking water, type 1 community public water supplies are required to release an annual Consumer Confidence Report (CCR) no later than July 1 each year. The CCR provides information specific to your drinking water system, such as:

  • The source of the drinking water (lake, river, or groundwater).
  • Results for regulated contaminants found in the drinking water.
  • Potential health effects associated with any contaminants found that violate an EPA or State health standard and information on how to reduce exposure.
  • Contact information.

How are CCRs Provided?

Consumer Confidence Reports can be released to customers in one or more ways:

Icon style drawing of a laptop with an internet browser symbol on the screen


Icon style illustration showing letter in envelope

Direct Mail

newspaper icon


document icon

Posted in a lobby or community center where you live

To learn more about your community’s drinking water, contact your city or local officials. To get a copy of the report, call your supplier, look on your supplier’s website, contact your local health department, EGLE district office, or use the EPA's CCR search tool.

To stay up to date with current resources and opportunities being offered through the program, subscribe to the Drinking Water and Health newsletter.

If you have questions, please contact the MDHHS Drinking Water Hotline at 844-934-1315.