Prescription Drug Task Force
On February 21st 2020, Governor Whitmer signed Executive Order 2020-01 creating the Prescription Drug Task Force as an advisory body within MDHHS. The Task Force includes the following members:
MDHHS Director Robert Gordon
DIFS Director Anita Fox
LARA Director Orlene Hawks
Sen. Winnie Brinks (SD-29)
Sen. Curt VanderWall (SD-35)
Rep. Angela Witwer (HD-71)
Rep. Padma Kuppa (HD-41)
Rep. Hank Vaupel (HD-47)
The Task Force is charged with the following:
- Analyze the scope and causes of the problem of high-cost prescription drugs in Michigan and the impact of this problem on this state’s residents, communities and businesses.
- Analyze the way prescription drug prices are set in Michigan and identify strategies for increasing the transparency of that process.
- Recommend legislative and administrative actions that can be taken, and policy-related changes that can be implemented by governmental and non-governmental agencies, relevant to lowering prescription drug prices for consumers in Michigan.
- Recommend legislative and administrative actions that can be taken, and policy-related changes that can be implemented by governmental and non-governmental agencies, relevant to increasing transparency in the pricing of prescription drugs in Michigan.
- Provide other information or advice or take other actions as requested by the governor.
The Task Force will complete its work and submit a final report to the governor detailing its findings and recommendations by December 31st, 2020.
The meetings are held using the virtual platform Microsoft Teams Live Events and are open to the public. (Instructions for Attendees to Join Teams Live Event and Ask Questions)
- October 20 – Introductions, Overview, and Priority Setting
- November 16 – The Impact of Drug Prices on Consumers
- November 20 – Understanding the Prescription Drug Supply and Financing Chain
- December 7 – Policies to Lower Prescription Drug Prices and Increase Transparency (meeting information forthcoming)
The Task Force is also soliciting comments from the public on the impact of high drug prices and potential policy solutions for lowering costs and increasing transparency. Written comments may be sent to MDHHS-RxTaskForce@michigan.gov. Comments must be received by November 30th.