City of Detroit Health Department - Lead Education and Prevention Service for Pregnant Women
- Provided education and testing to pregnant women visiting our Immunization Clinic. Provided staff prenatal risk assessment to interview pregnant mothers and give educational handouts. Established a referral process for women with elevated lead levels.
- Coordinated meeting with WIC staff to give education and provide testing.
- Reached out to Black Mothers' Breastfeeding Association as a possible resource for our pregnant mothers
- Developed new process to track number of pregnant women that receive education at Sister Friends and Safe Sleep meetings.
- Attending Provider Training "One Key Question" this training is focused on understanding women intentions and follow up care.
- Total number of pregnant women tested to date: 48
- We held partnership meetings to identify and plan events where we can test pregnant women:
- Safe Sleep
- Lead testing for pregnant women will occur during the NFP participant graduation.
- Sister Friends
- As a result of this partnership, our SisterFriends intake form was modified to now ask pregnant women about their lead testing status when enrolling into the program.
- DHD also plan to connect with the Institute for Population Health – MIHP program, another CLEEC grant recipient, to expand lead testing to women who participate
Activities - include successes & barriers
- SisterFriends events change month to month given that is driven by the availability and needs of the participants and community therefore cannot place as a standing calendar item for planning however we will be kept up to date when events are planned.
- New Lead Advocate to coordinate project start August.
- Lead testing billing form needs to be updated to include pregnant women
- Laptop purchased
- 14 pregnant women tested at Safe Sleep event
- Lab results form needs to be updated; currently only report on testing for children and not pregnant women
- Lead testing procedure needs to be developed for pregnant women
- LSHP – hand out application in addition to testing. Hand out applications to all pregnant women being tested, not just elevated lead levels
-Currently interviewing candidates to fill the Community Advocate position to begin education and screening in WIC, SisterFriends and NFP. A candidate will be selected within two weeks
- Met with all partner programs to review internal workplan and discuss outreach strategy
-Included project as a standing agenda item on DHD Lead Testing Strategy monthly meeting agenda