Skip to main content

How can we help you?

Elizabeth_Hertel 9-21

Thank you for reaching out to me. To be of even greater assistance, a list of possible resources is listed below to help answer common questions that I receive on a daily basis. If you’re not seeing an immediate solution to your problem, please complete the form below to help me and my team figure out the best way for MDHHS to help you or your loved ones.


Elizabeth Hertel
Michigan Department of Health and Human Services

To Apply for Benefits

You may view MDHHS assistance programs by clicking on the “Assistance Programs” tab.

To check benefit eligibility or apply for benefits visit If you need a paper application, you may fill out an Application for Benefits and either drop off or mail to your local office, or fax to 517-346-9888.

You can locate your local office here.

Expedited Food Assistance MAY be approved within 7 days. However, caseworkers have 30 days to process applications for Food Assistance and 45 days for Medicaid. In special cases, some Medicaid Benefits may take longer to get approved.

To Submit Documents to Your Caseworker

You can submit information to your caseworker at or by mail, fax, or by dropping documents off in person at your local DHHS office (if the lobby is open or has a drop box outside). Information for where to mail or fax will be available on letters received regarding benefits from MDHHS in the upper right-hand corner.

P-EBT (Pandemic-EBT)

Please call 833-905-0028 anytime between 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM Monday through Friday, or email so that a specialist can look at your specific P-EBT case. More information on our website:

For Employment Verifications:

If you are seeking verification of someone’s employment at MDHHS, please contact the MI HR Service Center at 877-766-6447 between 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. (ET), Monday through Friday, except State Holidays. More information can be found at the MI HR Service Center website.

Birth, Death and Marriage Records

To request a record or correction, visit: 

If you simply have questions, please contact: 517-335-8666 or

Please note we cannot verify birth or death information over the telephone.

For Evictions or Housing:

To speak with someone at MDHHS about applying for possible benefits to help with eviction and/or relocation (or other benefits such as food stamps, health insurance, cash assistance), please call 517-335-7810.

The Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MDSHA) has a telephone line for their Council on Homelessness which may provide you with assistance and/or resources.  Their number is 855-646-7432.

Michigan United Way/211 can be contacted for local resources and shelters by phone by dialing 2-1-1 or online at


If you still need assistance after reaching out to the above resources, please submit the information requested below:

All fields are required unless labeled as optional.