• Vital Records
  • Birth, Death, Marriage and Divorce Records

    The State of Michigan Vital Records Office has records of births, deaths, and marriages that occurred in Michigan and were filed with the state as early as 1867, and divorce records as early as 1897. We also have Affidavits of Parentage that were filed in the Central Paternity Registry since June 1, 1997 (Affidavit of Parentage records filed prior to that date would need to be obtained from the court where they were filed). You can order a record online using a debit or credit card, print an application to order by mail or to change a record, or get information about our service.

    The State of Michigan Vital Records Office is located at 333 S Grand Avenue, 1st Floor, Lansing MI 48933 (corner of Grand Avenue & Kalamazoo Street.  See Driving Directions for further details. The office hours are 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Mon-Fri, except for State holidays. The office is open through the lunch hour. If applying in person, you must submit your request by 3:00 pm in order to obtain same-day service.

    If you need general information about Michigan Vital Records or need to have an application mailed to you, please call our recorded message at 517-335-8656. If you need to speak with a customer service rep regarding a regular request, please call our Eligibility Unit at 517-335-8666, press option #3. If you need to speak with a customer service representative regarding a change or correction to a birth or death record, please call our Changes Unit directly at 517-335-8660. Marriage record corrections are handled by the clerk in the county where the marriage took place. Divorce records are court documents and must be corrected by the same court that finalized the divorce.

    You may also send a general e-mail to VRCustomerService@michigan.gov and we will try to respond within two business days.


    NOTE:  The State Vital Records Office will be temporarily closed on the following dates and times:

    Wednesday, August 28, 2019 - 9:00 - 10:00 a.m. for an all-staff meeting.

    Wednesday, December 11, 2019 - 12:00-1:00 p.m. for an all-staff meeting.

    The State Vital Records Office is closed on recognized state holidays.


  • Notice of Intent to Claim Paternity Form (MCL 710.33)

    Before a child is born, a putative father can file a Notice of Intent to Claim Paternity with the court in any county in Michigan.  By filing a notice of intent to claim paternity, this person will be presumed to be the father of the child unless the mother denies that the claimant is the father.  This notice will be admissible in court.  Timely filing of this notice entitles the putative father notice of any hearing involving that child to determine the identity of the father of the child and any hearing to determine or terminate his paternal rights to the child.

    The Notice of Intent to Claim Paternity must be filed with the court prior to the birth of the child.  In order to be accepted for filing, the form will need to be fully completed and notarized.

  • Affidavit of Parentage Form (Act 305 of 1996)

    The Affidavit of Parentage form can be used to establish the parentage after the birth of a child and may be used to have information on the father of a child added to the certificate of birth for the child.  This affidavit may be completed at the time of the child's birth or at any other time after the birth.  Completion of this affidavit is voluntary.  It indicates the parents' wish to acknowledge parentage of a child.

    It is intended for use by couples who were not married at the time the child was conceived, nor at the time of birth.  Proper completion of the form is very important.  Forms that are not properly completed will not be accepted for filing.  Instructions for completing and filing the Affidavit of Parentage can be found on page two of the form.

Ordering a record online using a credit card.
Applications for ordering records by mail.
Information on eligibility requirements for receiving record copies.
Information on turn-around time, urgent requests, and fees.
Applications to correct or change a birth record.
Applications to correct a death record.
Ordering a Michigan heirloom birth certificate.