Michigan's FREE Hearing and
Vision Screening Programs
The Michigan Department of Community Health (MDCH) provides FREE hearing and vision screenings to all children in Michigan, conducted in all schools and at your Local Health Department.
The ability to hear and see--the ability to learn--is the key to a child's success.
- An undiagnosed hearing and vision problem may interfere with development.
- Early detection and treatment of hearing and vision problems can help children succeed in school.
Contact Your Local Health Department Now
Help Your Child Succeed
- Comprehensive screenings are conducted by fully trained hearing and vision technicians.
- Michigan's Public Health Code requires screening during pre-school (ages 3 to 5).
- Michigan law requires hearing and vision screening prior to kindergarten entry.
- Once a child is in school, free screenings continue on a regular basis and are conducted by a Local Health Department.
- 10% of children screened for vision and 5% screened for hearing are referred to specialists.