The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Prepare Your Child for Success in School
Have your child's hearing and vision tested by your Local Health Department beginning at age 3 and again just BEFORE the start of kindergarten.
Your child's hearing and vision impacts their success in school. An undiagnosed hearing problem may impact your child's ability to pay attention or follow directions. An undiagnosed vision problem may affect your child's ability to read and learn.
Michigan Law Requires Local Health Departments offer hearing and vision screening at least once between the ages of 3 and 5, in Kindergarten, 2nd, & 4th grades (hearing) and 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, & 9th grades (vision) at no cost to families; it also requires screening PRIOR to Kindergarten entry.
If your child is enrolled in school, continuous screenings begin in Kindergarten.
If your child is not enrolled in a formal school setting, he or she can receive free screenings at your Local Health Department by appointment.
Does Your Child Have a Hearing or Vision Problem?
Your child may have a hearing problem if he or she:
- Has a history of ear infections or drainage from the ears
- Wants the television or radio louder
- Misunderstands directions or asks to have things repeated
Your child may have a vision problem if he or she:
- Squints or tilts the head to see
- Has an eye that crosses or wanders when the child is ill or tired
- Holds objects close to the eyes
If your child experiences any of these symptoms, contact your local health department now to have their hearing and vision tested.
Don't wait! The screening is FREE!
- Hearing and vision screenings, conducted by your local health department, begin at age 3 and are continued in the schools.
- No child is too young to be screened
- The earlier a problem is identified, the sooner it may be corrected and permanent damage may be prevented.
- Michigan's Public Health Hearing and Vision Screening Programs For Pre-School and School-Age Children-English (Under Construction)
- Michigan's Public Health Hearing and Vision Screening Programs For Pre-School and School-Age Children-Spanish (Under Construction)
- Michigan's Public Health Hearing and Vision Screening Programs For Pre-School and School-Age Children-Arabic (Under Construction)