Measles case confirmed in Oakland County
PONTIAC, Mich. – Michigan Department of Health and Human Services and Oakland County Health Division have confirmed a case of travel-related measles visiting from Israel following a stay in New York. Individuals may have been exposed to measles at the following locations:
- Lincoln Liquor & Rx at 25901 Coolidge Highway in Oak Park on Friday, March 8, from 12:20 to 2:45 p.m.
- Jerusalem Pizza at 26025 Greenfield Road in Southfield on Tuesday, March 12 and Wednesday, March 13 from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Potential exposures may have also occurred daily from March 6 through March 13 at the following locations:
- One Stop Kosher Market at 25155 Greenfield Road in Southfield
- Ahavas Olam Torah Center at 15620 W. 10 Mile Road in Southfield
- Congregation Yagdil Torah at 17100 W. 10 Mile Road in Southfield
- Yeshiva Gedolah of Greater Detroit at 24600 Greenfield Road in Oak Park
- Kollel Institute of Greater Detroit at 15230 Lincoln Street in Oak Park
Additional sites of potential exposure may be identified as more information becomes available.
Vaccine prophylaxis is effective within 72 hours of exposure. In addition, Immune Globulin (Ig) treatment is effective within 6 days of exposure for high-risk individuals. Talk to your preferred healthcare provider to determine if Ig is right for you and if it is available. High-risk individuals include pregnant women and those who are immune-compromised (have a weakened immune system due to illness and disease like diabetes or HIV, malnutrition, and/or medications). Individuals born in or before 1957 are considered immune.
Individuals who were possibly exposed are advised to watch for symptoms 21 days after exposure. If symptoms develop, it is crucial to call ahead to the healthcare provider you plan to visit so they can take precautions to prevent exposure in other individuals.
Measles is a vaccine-preventable disease that is spread by direct person-to-person contact, and through the air by a contagious person sneezing or coughing. The virus can live for up to two hours in the air where the infected person coughed or sneezed. Symptoms of measles usually begin 7-14 days after exposure, but can appear up to 21 days after exposure and may include:
- High fever (may spike to over 104ËF)
- Runny nose
- Red, watery eyes (conjunctivitis)
- Tiny white spots on the inner cheeks, gums, and roof of the mouth (Koplik Spots) 2-3 days after symptoms begin
- A rash that is red, raised, blotchy; usually starts on face, spreads to trunk, arms, and legs 3- 5 days after symptoms begin
"Measles is a highly contagious respiratory infection." said Dr. Russell Faust, Medical Director for Oakland County Health Division. "Immunizations are the best way to protect our families and communities from vaccine preventable diseases like measles, particularly in light of recent outbreaks nationally and worldwide."
The MMR vaccine is available through some health providers, Oakland County Health Division offices in Southfield and Pontiac, and many pharmacies.
Health Division offices are located at the following addresses:
- North Oakland Health Center, 1200 N. Telegraph Road, Building 34 East, Pontiac
- South Oakland Health Center, 27725 Greenfield Road, Southfield
The MMR vaccine is a two-dose series and costs $71 per dose. There is a $7 fee per vaccination, per client. The Health Division accepts health insurance, as well as Medicaid, Medicare, Vaccines for Children (VFC) program, cash, and credit. VFC offers vaccines at no cost for eligible children. There are additional fees for credit card payments. No one will be denied access due to inability to pay. There is a discounted/sliding fee schedule available.
For more information about measles, visit www.oakgov.com/health or call Nurse on Call at 800-848- 5533, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. For up-to-date public health information, follow @publichealthOC on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
For media inquiries only, please contact Dr. Russell Faust, Medical Director for Oakland County Health Division, at (248) 858-1410.