Michigan Cancer Consortium Recognizes Exemplary Cancer Control ActivitiesContact: Geralyn Lasher (517) 241-2112Agency: Community Health
November 1, 2006
Michigan Department of Community Health Director Janet Olszewski today announced that the Michigan Cancer Consortium (MCC) will present its prestigious Spirit of Collaboration Awards to five organizations that have engaged in exemplary cancer control collaborations.
"These awards are given to organizations that exude the true spirit of the Michigan Cancer Consortium," said Olszewski. "These organizations are working together to conquer cancer in Michigan."
The awards will be presented Friday, November 3, 2006 at Noon at DeVos Place, 303 Monroe, Grand Rapids. Ray Demers, MD, MPH, MCC Co-Chair and CEO of the Great Lakes Cancer Institute at Michigan State University, will present the awards. Recipients include:
· Colorectal Cancer Early Detection Pilot Program. Collaborating partners are District Health Department #10 and Spectrum Health - Reed City Campus.
· Digital Mammography Position Papers for Providers and Consumers. Collaborating partners include Gerald Aben, MD (Michigan State University), Ray Demers, MD, MPH (Great Lakes Cancer Institute at Michigan State University), Sharolyn Gonzalez, OCN, RN (Sparrow Regional Cancer Center), Nancy Gregory, MD (William Beaumont Hospital), Mark Helvie, MD (University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center), Bruce Matkovich (Michigan Department of Community Health - Radiation Safety Section), Stephanie Patterson, MD (University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center), Murray Rebner, MD (Michigan Radiological Society, William Beaumont Hospital), Frank Vicini, MD (William Beaumont Hospital), and Max Wicha, MD (University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center).
· MI SmokeFree Apartment Initiative. Collaborating partners include the Center for Social Gerontology: Smoke-Free Environments Law Project, Chippewa County Health Department, Dickinson-Iron District Health Department, Genesee County Health Department, Genesee County Health Department, Ingham County Health Department, LMAS District Health Department, Marquette County Health Department, Michigan Department of Community Health - Tobacco Section, Ogemaw County Health Department, Public Health Delta and Menominee Counties, Washtenaw County Health Department, and Western UP District Health Department.
· Network-Wide Colorectal Cancer Screening and Education in Mid-Michigan. Collaborating partners include the American Cancer Society, Great Lakes Division, Inc. (Lansing and Flint areas), Bay Regional Medical Center, Beckman Coulter Inc., Great Lakes Cancer Institute, Ingham Regional Medical Center, Lapeer Regional Medical Center, and McLaren Regional Medical Center.
· Patient Notification of Abnormal Pap Test Results. Collaborating partners include Carl Christensen, MD, PhD (Detroit Medical Center), Samuel Hirsch, MD (St. Joseph Mercy Health System), Mutjaba Husain, MD (Detroit Medical Center), Carolyn Johnston, MD (University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center), Rachel Nosowsky, JD (University of Michigan Health System), Maureen O'Higgins, MS, RN (American Cancer Society, Great Lakes Division, Inc.), Frances Pouch Downes, PhD (Michigan Department of Community Health), Emily Volk, MD (William Beaumont Hospital), and Lauren Zoschnick, MD (University of Michigan Health System).