Skip to main content

Certified Copies

Anyone is eligible to request a certified copy of a Michigan death, marriage or divorce record if he/she makes the request in writing and prepays the required search fee (MCL 333.2882(1c)) and (MCL 333.2882(1d)).  Anyone also is eligible to receive a birth record if that record is over 100 years old (MCL 333.2882(1)(b)). A long-form certified copy is printed on special security paper and contains a raised, embossed seal. The Vital Records Division does not issue "wallet sized" birth records or genealogy copies; only certified copies. Photo identification is required to request a Michigan birth record less than 100 years old or an Affidavit of Parentage record. If you do not have valid photo identification, click here for a list of acceptable documents that can be used.

According to MCL 333.2882(1)(a)), only the following parties are eligible to request a certified copy of a Michigan birth record that is less than 100 years old:

  • The person named on the record,
  • A parent named on the record,
  • A legal guardian of the person named on the record. With your mail-in application, you must include a copy of the court-appointed legal guardianship papers. Power of Attorney documents may be used, depending upon the limitations of the power of attorney order. Each will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
  • A legally licensed representative of the person named on the record.  You must include with the mail-in application, a letter on your official letterhead stating who you represent and include a photocopy of your current, valid photo ID and that of the client as well.  
  • An heir if the person on the record is deceased.  A copy of a birth record less than 100 years old can be released to an heir of a deceased person, but you must state your relationship to the person and provide the decedent's married name at the time of death. If the death occurred in Michigan, you will need to include the death information on the application for us to verify. If the death occurred out-of-state, you will need to provide a photocopy of the death certificate. If the death occurred out-of-the-country, you'll need to provide a copy of the death certificate translated into English.
  • A court of competent jurisdiction that pays the required fee and supplies a court order (a Michigan court, a federal court or another jurisdiction whose laws are not in conflict with Michigan laws).



Order a birth, death, marriage, or divorce record:

- Online using a credit card
- By mail