Social MediaSocial media is a great resource for safe infant sleep awareness building and education.
HashtagsA hashtag is a label used on social media sites that makes it easier to find posts, especially those with specific content. Using a hashtag helps you reach your target audience and makes it easier for others to find your information. The more you use a specific hashtag, the greater your chances are to grow an audience. To promote infant safe sleep, it is recommended that you always use #safesleep. In addition to #safesleep, some others you can use are:#safesleep4MIbabies#safetosleep#normalizesafesleep#SIDSAwarenessMonth (during the month of October)#safesleepsaveslives
TaggingTagging other organizations can also help you promote safe sleep. When you tag an organization, your post should show up on that organization’s page. Your post will then be visible to the followers of the page you tagged, expanding your reach. Some organizations you can tag in your posts include:
- Michigan Department of Health and Human Services
- Local health departments in your area or region
- Local community agencies that serve families and children in your area or region
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
- U.S. Product Safety Commission
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Charlie’s Kids Foundation
Messages You Can Use
The Safe to Sleep® Shareable Content has infographics, social media infocards, and safe sleep messages that you can share and the National Institute for Children’s Health Quality also has Safe Sleep Social Media Graphics that you can use. In additon, use the following messages, organized by topic, or tailor them for your audience.