St Marys River Area
St. Marys Area of Concern
The St. Marys River is one of the twelve remaining AOCs located in Michigan, and one of two sites shared internationally with Ontario, Canada. Although the environment is improving over time and people are working to restore the river, there are still chemicals on the bottom of the river. It’s safe to play and swim in the water, but you should be careful when choosing fish to eat.
Eat Safe Fish
- Check the Eat Safe Fish Guide to learn about choosing and eating safer fish from lakes and rivers in Chippewa County, including the St. Marys River.
- To get the fish consumption guidelines for other lakes and rivers in Michigan, check out the regional Eat Safe Fish Guides.
- Eat Safe Fish from Areas of Concern - For more information about Areas of Concern and the Fish Consumption Beneficial Use Impairment.
Learn more about our partners and the Rouge River Area of Concern:
- Michigan Great Lakes Area of Concern Program
- EPA Area of Concern
- St. Marys River Bi-National Public Advisory Council
To get free print copies of the Guides, please call MDHHS at 1-800-648-6942.