Rouge River Area of Concern
The Rouge River is one of the twelve remaining AOCs located in Michigan. Although the environment is improving over time and people are working to restore the river, there are still chemicals on the bottom of the river. It’s safe to play and swim in the water, but you should be careful when choosing fish to eat.
Eat Safe Fish
- Download the Southeast Michigan Eat Safe Fish Guide to learn about choosing and eating safer fish from lakes and rivers in the Rouge River area.
- To get the fish consumption guidelines for other lakes and rivers in Michigan, check out the regional Eat Safe Fish Guides.
- Eat Safe Fish from Areas of Concern - For more information about Areas of Concern and the Fish Consumption Beneficial Use Impairment.
Learn more about our partners and the Rouge River Area of Concern:
- Michigan Great Lakes Area of Concern Program (EGLE website)
- EPA Area of Concern
- Friends of the Rouge River
- Alliance of Rouge Communities
To get free print copies of any of these flyers or brochures, please call MDHHS at 1-800-648-6942.