The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Breastfeeding for Managers and Coordinators
- Breastfeeding Coordinator position description and examples of work
- Breastfeeding Coordinator Orientation & Training Document
- Register for Breastfeeding Coordinator Training held 2x/year (April & October)
- Attend Breastfeeding Workgroup (Fridays in January, April, July, October on Friday 8:30-12:30)
Peer Counselor Manager
- Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Manager position description and examples of work
- Register for Peer Counselor Manager Training held 2x/year (April & October)
Reports & Tools
- Breastfeeding Coordinator and PC Manager Reporting Guidance
- Peer Manager Tools
- Peer Counseling Training for WIC Managers
- Speaker Notes and Handouts
- PC Orientation Guide for Peer Managers
- Peer Mentoring Tool
- Shadowing Debriefing Tool
- Peer Counselor Allowable Costs
- Peer Counseling Program Assessment: Use this tool to help evaluate your peer program and guide the frequency of peer contacts with clients.
- Peer Manager Reports
- Peer Counselor Quarterly Report Form
- Peer Counselor Quarterly Report Instructions
- Activity Log
- Activity Log Instructions
- Sample PC Chart Review Checklist
- Sample Peer Counselor Participant Satisfaction Survey
Nutrition Services Plan (NSP): Examples of Completed Breastfeeding Plans
- 2024 Sample Breastfeeding Plan (coming soon)
- DHD #10
- Grand Traverse
- Oakland County
Management Evaluation (ME)
- 2022 Breastfeeding Data Report
- Guidance for Michigan WIC Breastfeeding Data
- Breastfeeding Rate and Duration Ad-Hoc Reports
- Pregnancy Nutrition Surveillance System (PNSS) for breastfeeding initiation of WIC mothers.
- Pediatric Nutrition Surveillance System (PedNSS) for breastfeeding initiation, duration and exclusivity for WIC infants.
- USDA WIC Breastfeeding Data Local Agency Reports
Non-WIC Breastfeeding Data
- Michigan Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System (PRAMS)
- Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) Maternal Child Health Epidemiology Reports
- Michigan Maternity Practices in Infant Nutrition and Care (mPINC) 2020 Report
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Breastfeeding Report Card 2020
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Breastfeeding Rates (for children born in 2012-2019) from National Immunization Survey (NIS)
- USBC State & Territory Breastfeeding Reports
- To order breast pumps or if you have questions about breast pumps or supplies, email MDHHS-WICbreastfeeding@michigan.gov.
- Video How to Order Breast Pumps, Kits and Specialty Items
- If you need supplies outside of the annual order, email MDHHS-WICbreastfeeding@michigan.gov
- Process of adjusting breast pump inventory in MI-WIC
- Breastfeeding Coordinator and PC Manager Report Guidance
- Video How to Check Multi-User Pump History
- Video How to Balance Breastfeeding Equipment
- How to Receive Breastfeeding Equipment Inventory
- Video How to Transfer Inventory
- Michigan WIC BF Inventory Marketplace if you have or need pumps or pump parts to share or get from other local agencies.
Breast Pump Issuance
- Breast Pump Policy- Compliance Documents
- Video How to run Client List by Breast Pump Model Report
- Video How to run Overdue Loaner Breast Pump Report
Process for Lost/Stolen Pump Retrieval
- Policy 4.04, Breastfeeding Equipment Ordering, Inventory, Retrieval, and Maintenance
- Sample Local Agency Pump Retrieval Letter
- Policy 4.04, Section B, Guidance Section
Position descriptions and examples of work
New Staff Members
- All Staff
- Coffective Overview Video (one-hour)
- MDHHS WIC Trainings
- Policy 1.07A, Staff Training Plan
- Breastfeeding Peer Counselors
- Prior to providing services to clients, a new PC needs to complete a local agency orientation with their Peer Counselor Manager. After that is competed, contact your Regional Lactation Consultant (LC) and they will complete the breastfeeding-specific orientation using the Checklist for Orientation with Regional Lactation Consultant to make sure all training topics are covered.
- For access to the Coffective 5-hour Training, email MDHHS-WICbreastfeeding@michigan.gov
Training Requirements & Documentation Tools
- Staff are required to complete four breastfeeding-related trainings per year
- Staff Training Documentation:
- In MI-WIC: In Admin Module, select User Setup > Staff Information. Select Staff Member > GO. Select staff training button > Add > training date, type of training and note if desired > Save
- Other ideas on documentation can be found on the Google Collaboration Staff Training webpage.
Implicit Bias, Inequity, and Cultural Humility annual training
- Michigan Breastfeeding Network DEI Resources from MIBFN
- MDHHS Division of Maternal & Infant Health has a Health Equity website has several online implicit bias training options.
- The Learning Management System (LMS) modules offers a course on Systemic Racism which would count toward an Implicit Bias Training.
Policy 4.02, Client Breastfeeding Education
Ordering Printed Material
- List of Coffective Materials
Infant Feeding (Breastfeeding) Classes
- Infant Feeding Class Ideas
- See Policy 5.01D, Nutrition Education Lesson Plans, for the procedure for developing lesson plans.
- Process of setting up a class in MI-WIC
Evaluating Breastfeeding Materials
Policy 4.01, Local Agency Breastfeeding Responsibilities and Staff Roles
NWA’s Six Steps to Achieve Breastfeeding Goals for WIC Clinics
MDHHS Lactation Room Policy
Local Agency Breastfeeding Collaboration
- Visit our Google Drive Collaboration folder to find sample documents on breast pumps, infant feeding classes, infants at work programs & policies, and staff training.
Breastfeeding Work Group
- Breastfeeding Workgroup (Meets virtually on Friday in January, April, July, October on Friday 8:30-12:30)
- Visit our Google Sheets LA Sharing Notes page to gather great ideas from each other.